Over 100 members of Academia Europaea travelled from far and wide to attend Academia Europaea’s 30th Annual Conference, Building Bridges, in Barcelona which took place on 29th November 2018. The event was held at the atmospheric Institut d’Estudis Catalans (IEC), home to the Barcelona Knowledge Hub.
Highlights of this special event, which also marked AE’s 30th anniversary, included:
- Professor Hans Clevers, Hubrecht Institute, receiving the Erasmus medal and presenting his lecture on Stem cell-based organoids in personalised medicine
- Dr Jörg Hacker, President of the Leopoldina, accepting AE’s Gold Medal award on behalf of the German Academy of Sciences
- Robert-Jan Smits, Open Access Envoy of the European Commission and former DG Research and Innovation, presenting Science, Europe’s precious asset
Also in Barcelona last week:
- The Young Academy of Europe held its 7th annual conference
- AE held its 30th Annual General Business Meeting
- Newly appointed members of AE and YAE were formally welcomed to their respective academies
- The Disputatio of Barcelona 2018, Competition vs. Cooperation: Two economists’ point of view, took place
- A post conference trip to Banyoles-Besalú was organised
Professor Ole Petersen and Dr Esther Dorado-Ladera represented the Cardiff Hub at the event in Barcelona.
Don’t miss our 30th anniversary commemorative brochure.
Read more about our 30th Anniversary celebrations