COORDINATION OF EVIDENCE REVIEW REPORT
The Hub led the coordination of an evidence review on Making sense of science for policy under conditions of complexity and uncertainty. This initiative of the European Commission Group of Chief Scientific Advisors (GCSA) addresses policymakers using scientific advice. The Hub was involved actively in all phases of the work.
In June 2019, Professor Ole Petersen and Louise Edwards participated in a scoping workshop with topic experts, hosted at the European Commission in Brussels. The Hub then coordinated nominations and the selection of an expert working group, which met three times between September and December 2019 at the Berlin–Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities. Academia Europaea was represented at the meetings by Cardiff staff Professor Ole Petersen, Louise Edwards and Dr Esther Dorado-Ladera.
The GCSA’s Scientific Opinion was handed over to Commissioner Carlos Moedas on 24th September 2019 and published on 26th September 2019. Together with the SAPEA Evidence Review Report, it was presented in a dedicated session within the European Commission Research & Innovation Days.
The SAPEA Evidence Review Report and the GCSA’S Scientific Opinion are available here.
OUTREACH TO RESEARCHERS
- Ethics & Assessments Conference 2019, Berlin, 16-18 September 2019
- Shaping Horizons 2019, University of Cambridge, 10 September 2019
- Science Policy Exchange Network launch, London, 30 May 2019
- Welsh Policy and Politics in Unprecedented Times conference, Swansea University, 24 May 2019
- Academy of Technical Sciences of Romania 11th International Symposium on Advanced Topics in Electrical Engineering, Bucharest, 28-30 March 2019
- EFSA/BfR International Conference on Uncertainty in Risk Analysis, Berlin, 20-22 February 2019
- On Think Tanks Annual Conference, Geneva, 7 February 2019
- Academia Europaea 30th anniversary event, London Royal Society, 24 September 2018
OUTREACH TO POLICYMAKERS
- European Commission Research & Innovation Days, Brussels, 26 September 2019